Star Wars: The Old Republic has so much for everyone to do to play the game, but it does have some limitations for those that are not subscribers. You do get a very large portion of the game free to play, so you can do the main story to see how it all wraps up your class.
Character Slots & Active Characters
- 24 Active Characters Per Server
- 12 Active Characters Per Server by default.
- 13 with subscriptions during Knights of the Fallen Empire OR Knights of the Eternal Throne
- 14 with subscriptions during BOTH Knights of the Fallen Empire and Knights of the Eternal Throne
- 4 Active Characters Per Server*
You can purchase more character slots for your server, but take note, these are per server, not account wide. The maximum number of characters you can have on any one server using paid unlocks is 100.
*If you are a free player, as soon as you make any Cartel Coin purchase, you are upgraded to Preferred Status. This means you will have a total of 12 character slots by default.
- 1,000,000 Credit Cap (anything above this is put into your Escrow account)
- Access to:
- 1 Crew Skill
- 4 Character Slots
- 2 Galactic Trade Network Slots
- 3 Quickbars
- 3 Species for Character Creation unless already unlocked
- Unlimited Medical Probes
- Bank (Cargo Hold) access must be unlocked.
- Legacy Bank (Legacy Cargo Hold) is available to all that have 1 character at level 15 or higher.
- No access to Guild Bank unless you purchase unlock.
- Inventory unlocks with unlocks only.
- You can only receive mail, not send.
- Higher Vendor costs.
- No access to in game support, only email, phone and forum support.
- No access to Rest XP (a bonus if logging out in a rest zone like Cantina or Stronghold)
- Restricted Chat. Tells and General Chat have a 1 minute timer.
- If you are below max level, you cannot get more than 10 Flashpoint rewards.
- Space Missions limited to 10 per week.
- Warzones limited to 10 per week solo, unlimited group if grouped with subscriber and No Ranked.
- Most Artifact (Purple) gear cannot be used without a purchased unlock (per character).
- No access to ANY Operations or Uprisings.
- You can play the full class story without restrictions, including Rise of the Hutt Cartel and Shadow of Revan Expansions.
- Level Cap is Level 60
- No credit card or PayPal necessary unless you wish to purchase Cartel Coins.
- Some missions rewards are limited, and will be greyed out if you are not able to collect them.
- May not have guild tag displayed in Free-to-Play guilds.
- Guild leaders of Free-to-Play guilds may not personalize Guild Rank names or alter default rank permissions for Guild members.
- Guild members, including the Guild Leader, may not access the guild bank unless they buy the unlock access in Cartel Market.
- Only Free-to-Play members can join the guild. If a subscriber joins the guild, they may be given the Guild leadership role.
- Only if the Guild Leader becomes a subscriber will the guild change from a Free-to-Play Guild to a subscriber Guild.
- Access to:
- 2 Crew Skills
- 5 Quickbars
- 12 Character Slots
- Bank (Cargo Hold)
- Sprint at Level 1
- Trading Items after level 10
- Mail sending restricted (1 attachment & no credits)
- No access to in game support, only email, phone and forum support
- Less Restrictions on Chat – Timer for General Chat only
Some previous subscribers may also get the following benefits:
- Access to all Artifact Quality Gear you have worn.
- Access to Knights of the Fallen Empire expansion if you subscribed after October 2015.
- Access to Knights of the Eternal Throne chapters if you subscribed after December 2016.
- Some users who subscribed during certain times may also have 1-4 more character slots.
- you choose which of your characters you have active.
Subscribers have none of the restrictions of the free or preferred players.
Some benefits over Free-to-Play and Preferred:
- Access to:
- 24 Character Slots (1-4 more depending on when you subscribe)
- 50 Galactic Trade Network Slots
- 8 Quickbars
- All Artifact Gear is usable
- Priority In-Game Support
- Rest XP
- 3 Crew Skills
- All currently available expansions
- Unlimited Re-specializations
- Higher XP Rate over level 20
- Higher Login Priority
- Monthly Cartel Coin Grant of 500 or more based on number of months bought, see below for more details. (This is in addition to the 100 for having an account using the Security Key)
- No Chat Restrictions
- No Credit Cap (technically at 4.2 billion)
- Unlimited Flashpoints End Boss Rewards
- Unlimited Mail, receiving and sending
- Unlimited Operations
- Unlimited Space Missions
- Unlimited Warzones
- Unlimited Uprisings
Subscribed Player Rewards
Cartel Coins granted approximately every 30 days.
60 Days Subs: 525 each month for 2 months
- First Cartel granted once payment is confirmed, second at 30 days.
30 Day Recurring Subs: 500 every 30 days
- Coins granted once payment is confirmed and game time is active. Your payment method will be charged every 30 days and your reward will follow payment confirmation within a few days.
60 Day Recurring Subs: 525 every 30 days
- Coins granted once payment is confirmed and game time is active. Your payment method will be charged every 60 days and your reward will follow payment confirmation within a few days.
90 Day Recurring Subs: 550 every 30 days
- Coins granted once payment is confirmed and game time is active. Your payment method will be charged every 90 days and your reward will follow payment confirmation within a few days at 30 and 60 days.
180 Day Recurring Subs: 600 every 30 days
- Coins granted once payment is confirmed and game time is active. Your payment method will be charged every 30 days and your reward will follow payment confirmation within a few days at 30, 60, 90, 120 and 150 days.
Security Key Grant: 100 every 30 days – Available to Non-Subbed as well
- Every 30 days from the first granted coins, as long as Security Key is actively attached to your account.
Buying Cartel Coins
Cartel Coins are available for purchase directly from swtor.com or by buying a prepaid card in-store or online from retail partners in North America.
You MUST have a Star Wars: The Old Republic account in order to redeem a Cartel Coin Card.
Some of the retail partners offer exclusive pets that will be added to your account when you redeem your card. They are as follows:
Amazon.com, US only:
- Juvenile War Rancor (2400 Cartel Coin Card) – see link below
- Juvenile Mountain Rancor (5500 Cartel Coin Card) – see link below
- Juvenile Irradiated Rancor (14500 Cartel Coin Card) – see link below
Best Buy: Juvenile Nocturnal Rancor
GameStop: Juvenile Tyrant Rancor
Walmart: Imperial Bomber “M-7 Razorwire” Starship Mini-Ship
Target: Juvenile Canyon Rancor
To redeem your codes, log into your account at swtor.com and select Redeem Codes on your account page.